Friday, August 26, 2011

A little secret...

Want to hear a little secret?

I don't actually consider myself a runner.  There I admitted it.  Are you shocked?

I really don't, though.

I know I have this blog and I talk about running but hear me out on this...

In a typical week my only exercise is a run 3 days a week.  If I'm not quite feeling it, that number may drop down and I don't let myself feel that guility about it. 

I only do a race or two a year.

Up until about three years ago I would start training for the April half-marathon and after the race not run regularly again until the winter to start over again.

I don't really get into heartrate, PRs, hill trainings, cross training...

Sometimes I don't even like running very much.

I don't look at protein, eat special bars before a run or even subscribe to a running magazine.

When you blogger runners post stats and details and paces about your runs I gloss over until you write sentences again.

When I run a mile around 9 minutes I feel like I had a pretty good mile.  I was never the sporty one in my family or friends!

I don't follow a training plan for working up to a half-marathon.  (After doing lots of them I go with a gradual build up that just seems to work.)

What do you think?  What makes a person a runner to you?


Now my husband... he's a runner.

He doesn't run regularly at all-- as in I don't think he has run in months maybe even years now-- but he is a runner to me. When he does run, he runs fast! And he can even talk and run fast!  He coached cross country to high schoolers for years.  He knows about heartrates, proteins, carb loading and reads books by a guy named after a whiskey (Daniels' Running Formula - 2nd Edition)


Daniels' Running Formula - 2nd Edition


But me... I run to keep my head straight and my stress down.  I run so I can eat the sweets and carbs I can't seem to stop eating! 

I buy gear when I need it and don't geak out on it when I do.  I own a few running shorts, a few running shirts, have a few pairs of running socks, a working pair of running shoes, got some blinky lights (as a Christmas gift) so I can run in the dark and a very nice jogging stroller (as a shower gift) to make sure I couldn't use a baby as an excuse not to run...

I read some great blogs about running and see how dedicated many of you are to making it an actual competative sport.

I love supporting others who think they can't run for whatever reason.  Maybe I have that passion because I don't feel like I am a pro at running myself?  I'd like to think that as long as a doctor gives you a decent bill of health-- anyone can run.  Anyone can do a 5k and I truly think anyone can even do a half or a full marathon too! 

Shoo... I feel better getting that off my chest. 

I'm just your average 30 year old (when did that happen?) running for fun and fitness and I want to take as many of you along on the ride too!

No comments:

Post a Comment