Thursday, August 25, 2011

Weaning

While this blog started to cronicle running while pregnant I also desire to keep it real on life with a baby (ok-- 1 year old) too.  I know breastfeeding unto itself is sometimes a sensative subject... but I am going to kick it up a notch and talk about weaning.
Now that baby boy is a year old and I shared that I am ready for another kiddo (whenever the good Lord would bless us with another) and since Aunt Flo has yet to return onb her own-- we're going to start the weaning process.  (How else can I keep a blog called Running for Two?  Haha!!)  My plan now (sitting at day 1) is to drop a feeding and stay one less feeding for a week or so before dropping another.  Of course replacing the feeding with solids (which he already gets) and whole milk.  I may hang on to the morning and night feeding a bit longer.  The night will definately be the last one I drop because it's such a bonding time to snuggle and be the one to put him to bed.  I could cry thinking about dropping it right now.

Baby boy currently nurses 4 times a day-- when he wakes up in the morning, after his morning nap, after his second nap and before bed for the night... so the first feeding to go will be the one after his second nap. 

The pediatrician gave the okay to start organic whole milk.  I gave him some yesterday when he woke up from a nap and after about an ounce he was signing "please" to nurse instead.  So in today's replacement milk I warmed it up and mixed it with my milk and he did fine with it.  I should also mention that because he has nursed he hasn't really figured out a sippy cup.  And he is going through a stage of being soooo picky with solid foods-- but we're forging on. 

His 1 year stats:
20 lbs (exactly) -- only in the 10-25th percentile
30" tall (exactly) -- 50th percentile


I'll keep you posted on how things go, physically, emotionally, etc.

4 comments:

  1. I just love the fact that you are still breastfeeding and blogging about it on your running blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks for the encouragement. I hope people get something out of posts when I share more than I might usually about my personal life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great you made it to the year. I don't know how you did it - I failed both times! 10 months was around when my supply declined. Any tips for when I do this again?

    ReplyDelete