Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Alternate to Running and CHOCOLATE!

I bailed on my running partner yesterday morning because as I was packing my clothes for the run (the night before) I looked up the weather on my phone.  100% chance of rain and 41 degrees at 5am.  Yikes.  Um, no.  So I texted that I was going to bail and would do a workout video instead.  Sweet sleep, dry indoors and heat.  Ahhh.

But then I had to complete the other half of my bailing promise-- a workout video.  So after putting the cub down for his nap, I spent 30 minutes with Jillian.  That girl knows how to kick a butt in ways you don't realize until you wake up the next day, and think, "ow.  Why do I hurt in unusual places?  Oh yeah, that half hour with Jillian." 

I really should do those more often.

I have to share this recipe, kids.  It is so easy, so good and totally is close enough to my addiction to Bear Naked Chocolate granola, without costing $5 a bag!  Found originally here.  I tweaked the oats slightly because I like mine a bit more coated than the 7 cups she calls for in her recipe.



Homemade Chocolate Granola

  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • ½ cup honey
  • ½ cup cocoa
  • 5-6 cups of old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  1. In a small sauce pan combine brown sugar, oil, and honey. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa.
  2. Place oats in a large bowl and stir in sugar/cocoa mixture.
  3. Spread into 2 9×13 pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
  5. Remove from oven and stir in chocolate chips.
  6. Turn off oven and return granola to oven. (Yes you turn the oven off and place granola back in it. This helps the granola to finish cooking without over cooking it.)
  7. Leave in oven for 1-2 hours.
  8. Remove from oven and let cool.
  9. Store in sealed containers or jars.    

Make it and you'll be saying yum too!  It's as close to Bear Naked Chocolate Granola as we'll come in my kitchen-- and I tried lots of other recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment